Monday, August 27, 2012

Hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst...just in case

Scott has been activated for disaster response.  Meaning we have today to get ready and he has to report for duty before 0700 tomorrow morning.  After that he'll be cruising with EMS until this thing blows over and everyone calms down.


Although the prediction is a Category I at this point, we are preparing for the possibility of a Category II since Scott will not be able to come back and do these things later if needed.  It's the most beautiful day we've had in quite a while, so it seems silly to be boarding up windows.  We've moved anything that could be picked up by the wind and whipped around through windows, under the house or tied it down and closed.  Scott gave me a refresher course with the shot gun and we have plenty of supplies and dog food.  The generator is out and ready and I believe we're set to go!  So - moral of the story, don't worry too much family and friends that are out of town!  This will probably just be a little rain storm and a lot of hassle for nothing.  Love ya lots and we'll update more if anything exciting happens, as long as we have internet and phone.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Isaac

Dear Family,

We are ok :)  The sun was shining all day today and the impending gloom and doom of Isaac has not hit us.  We went out and bought a few sheets of plywood and 30 gallons of drinking water - just in case.  We also filled our extra gas cans and both cars have full tanks.  Just in case.  We have a generator and a gas stove and we are as prepared as we know how to be at this point.

Scott is assigned to the disaster response team with EMS - meaning that if this thing gets crazy, he will be riding around in an ambulance for the next several days.  Today they called him and told him to pack five days worth of food and clothes... just in case.  We find out tomorrow morning at about 10:00 what the verdict is - whether they will activate all the disaster teams or if this is just going to fizzle to nothingness.

We're still trying to decide what to do about me and the dogs at this point.  As of right now it looks like Orleans parish will not be implementing a mandatory evacuation, but that could possibly change.  The wonderful thing is that history is on our side.  Our house is in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Orleans Parish, we are a full twelve feet above sea level, and it has never flooded in 200+ years.  The only thing we worry about is the electricity going out and accessibility, as the Mississippi river is between us and the main part of the city.

So, tonight we wait for Isaac to work his ornery self around the south tip of Florida, and see what direction he decides to head in.  And tomorrow we will make further plans.  Until then, please just pray for the Gulf Coast and that this storm starts to fizzle out, instead of picking up more speed as it heads this way.